Is PlayStation Plus worth the money right now?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Is PlayStation Plus worth the money right now?

Seriously, there is nothing that has interested me about PS Plus yet.

Why did you upgrade?

Desz
TQ Hosts
TQ Hosts

Number of posts : 746
Location San Diego
XBL Tag TQcast
Preferred System : PS3
Registration date : 2010-01-08

http://tqcast.com

Back to top Go down

- Similar topics
Share this post on: Excite BookmarksDiggRedditDel.icio.usGoogleLiveSlashdotNetscapeTechnoratiStumbleUponNewsvineFurlYahooSmarking

Is PlayStation Plus worth the money right now? :: Comments

Post on Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:07 pm by JUiCE

Same here, i think they're slowly rolling things out to PSN Plus user.

Last edited by JUiCE on Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:06 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post on Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:33 pm by Kosamus

If it was $25 a year, it would be really worth it. Now its just a gimmick for Sony to get some extra cash. Atleast they don't shove ads in your face, but still - its just not worth it for the average gamer.

Back to top Go down

Post on Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:26 pm by Desz

JUiCE wrote:Sam here, i think they're slowly rolling things out to PSN Plus user.

Hi Sam!

Back to top Go down

Post on Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:34 pm by V8SuperCars

As many of you know i have Plus.

I was in a similar boat to you guys, wondering if i should or shouldnt, but rest assured its been the best money i spent in a long while.

The free content i have been getting is so good, the value is phenomenal and also feels good that for the same money as 360 im getting all this content aswell, sure its missing cross chat but who cares the 360 never had cross chat for the first 2.5years or longer and i and no body else was crying like a snitch.

Overall im more than happy to pay for Plus over Xbox live, just feels like you getting your moneys worth and PS3s online has already come a long way and in most cases on par with 360 and im many areas surpasses 360 MAG is a classic example of this with 256 players online, full voice chat and zero to no lag.

In the first month i scored about $70 value (its $79 for a year in Aus) i already had LBP that im trading in now, second month i got $55 value, so im up to $125 value for $79, add to that i got to Download the Mafia 2 demo nice and early and get 1hr full game trials like the infamous and shatter trials, that give you trophies and all for your 1hr play, its like hiring a game from your local blockbuster but not having to pay for it or get off your ass to drop it off the matter LOL.

Im getting minis now, i never purchased a mini game, never would have, but since they are free im DLing them and loving it, minis are a great way to relax when you could not be assed getting up to put in a game or dont have the time to jump into a game that might take 30min or longer to play, they are like your iphone apps on the big screen and thanks to PS Plus are totally free.

Auto Downloading: is Fricken Awesome!!! i have mine setup to DL between 2am to 4am everyday, it DL updates to games, Demos and so on. To activate a DL over night i simply go to the store click what i want start the DL and then turn my system off, it turns back on at 2am DLs everything, then the best part fully installs them, so next morning i can play straight away, same for game updates on old games eg, i didnt play uncharted 2 for a long time, it had 8 updates many of them over 100mb, i started the update, cancelled it next morning im greeted with a message Uncharted had been fully updated and installed.
The good part is it updated new patches automatically on the games you play but old games you need to activate to get it to DL by simply putting it in to your system it will see you playing it again and dl all the patches overnight, so dont worry it will not turn on and use up your monthly quota downloading updates for all your games you dont own or play, its very smart how they set it up.

Over all im giving Plus 10/10, its made me get back to gaming 100% more, the DL packs are drawing me to old games again like KZ2 and Motorstorm, minis have been incredible to play for quick stints, full demos give you a real taste of the action and thats just the start of it.

I know i said this before but it feels so damn good to play the same games online for free on PS3 over 360 and for the same money have so much free content and extras IMO Sony nailed it giving this away instead of x-game chat, that might still come to everyone anyway.

Back to top Go down

Post on Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:06 pm by JUiCE

Desz wrote:
JUiCE wrote:Sam here, i think they're slowly rolling things out to PSN Plus user.

Hi Sam!

hahaha Correctiong:

SAME

Back to top Go down

Post on Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:11 am by Siggy

I got PS Plus for the deals and betas but I'm only 50% satisfied with it so far. Right now it seems like Sony has no idea what to do with the service that they are charging you for. It almost feels like I'm in a Plus beta rather than the full service.

Another problem with Plus right now is that the North American region does not get the amazing offerings like the European region. We get free Wipeout HD while they get the full Little Big Planet game. What pissed me off more was when Sony recently decided to update Plus content every 2 weeks instead of what they originally said was going to be a weekly update of deals. They went back on their original word.

I heard Plus members might be getting Little Big Planet 2 and Killzone 3 betas but I'll believe it when I see it. Sony needs to step up their game if they want more subscribers. So far the service is a hit or a miss depending on what type of gamer subscribes to it

Back to top Go down

Post on Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:31 am by V8SuperCars

Siggy i thought it was every month updates? i have always read monthly never weekly?
In Aus we only get updates once a month like Europe and the early demos and add discounts added in thru the month.

As for little big planet, it was free only for the first month and only with a 12month subscription, think the USA got 3months extra with a 12 month subscription, 3months would add up way more than LBP that can be bought for about 20 to 30 bucks now.

From what i been reading on N4G the European market have been complaining something chronic about how USA region is getting more than us PAL ppl.

All i know is i have gotten over 120bucks in games and download packs in only 2 months and have 10months of game downloads to go, whats not to be happy about?
Have yet to get 1 free game from M$ after paying for Live for 5 years and only had 1 thing extra and only for 1.5year (party chat), was paying the same money for 3 years on xbox 1 that has half what PS3 has online, i would have rather had 5years of free games, early demos, free premium themes, PS1 classics, minis and full game trials, over paying to play with my friends online.

PS Plus rocks, and feel that Sony are looking after its user-base way more than M$, even Sony have been blogging about adding more stuff for us this is great news that they are doing that after our feedback and even better they told us whats coming in the next few months so we dont double buy game from the store, again listen to our feedback and listening.

IMO a great service and a must for any gamer who spends time on there console, and enjoys all types of games and free stuff.

Check out this exclusive Plus Theme, its the best i have had so far, check this baby out its so neat, clean, changes colour, and easy to read XMB, it shoots out little squares, circles, triangles like a bubble machine and free this month on Plus.

crosses

Back to top Go down

Post on Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:38 pm by Siggy

V8 - For North America they mentioned weekly. I never knew LBP was free for only 1 month? Sony said that whatever you download from Plus is free for you to keep as long as you are a Plus member.

Make sure you download all the free stuff so it will be in your download list history for you to download any time because they do remove items and if u didn't download them you lose access to them forever.

You don't even have to download them all the way, just select them and make sure the red bag icon is on the free items.

Back to top Go down

Post on Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:48 pm by V8SuperCars

yeah LBP was free for the first month only, its a keep so even if you dont re-subscribe after 12months its yours to keep.

I have a 500gig HDD in my PS3 so i download everything on plus even if i dont want it lol.

I set up 5gigs of DL yesterday before i went to bed and let Plus work its magic over night a 2am in my Off peak internet plan.
Woke up to NHL11 demo, HAWX2 demo, 4 videos of gamcon, a mini game i bought, 600mb update of Motorstorm2 and updated Operation Flash point, all installed and ready, Damn im loving Plus right now.

Back to top Go down

Post on Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:46 am by Siggy

Holy Shoot 500GBs lol. I have a 60GB and I now have less than 6GBs free.

Back to top Go down

Post on Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:38 pm by Desz

I have a 320GB, but no PS Plus

Back to top Go down

Post on Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:14 pm by mik

I agree with V8 on PS Plus. I'm seeing the value so far for sure. But I can understand why it wouldn't be worth it to some.

For me, getting "free" games and loads of "free" DLC for games I already own has been great.

And, in V8's words, Auto Downloading: is Fricken Awesome!!!

Back to top Go down

Post on Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:18 pm by TheL1T1G4T0R

LoL. What drive are you using in that bad boy V8?

PS Plus is....okay. I'm don't mind the price and I download pretty much everything they give me free. I did pick up a couple of games on the cheap though.

Bottom line, every since I stopped game sharing I stopped buying games. PS Plus actually got me to open my wallet several times. It's kind of sad. Sony may have to stop game sharing in order for this to become "worth it" to people.

Don't doubt it. If I was Sony, I would pull the plug on game share fast and instead give people the option to deactivate their systems online.

For me...it's just good value for the money I spent.

Back to top Go down

Post on Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:30 pm by V8SuperCars

My HDD is a western digital, i went 5400rpm after reading many threads that 7200rpm does get hotter and almost un-noticeable gains in speed.

So far working 100%, DL everything and anything, filled up PS3 with Music library, demos, installs (that i had to keep deleteing to make room for new games) and still have some 300gig free lol.

Just give a quick shout out to Desz, i used his video to help me change over the drive, was simple as backup old drive, pop in new one(be carful of screws holding drive to case) and restore, was like i never touch the system. So check out the TQ video if you are thinking of an upgrade and its 100% worth it and does not void warranty.

You can check out the video here- TQ PS3 HDD Upgrade step by step.

Back to top Go down

Post on Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:29 am by TheL1T1G4T0R

The Slim PS3s are so much easier to swap drives in. Thanks for the tip on the Hard drive. I definitely need to step up from this 250gb. I've been sticking my movies and videos on an external. Looks like I'll need to upgrade before they disable the USBs.

Back to top Go down

Post on Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:37 pm by Siggy

They better not disable USB just because of some hack that they can always patch with a fw update.

Back to top Go down

Post Today at 11:21 pm by Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum